Wednesday, September 9, 2009

VirtualBox Bridged Mode on Linpus

I wanted to run TurnKey Tomcat in VirtualBox, and use bridged network mode to make the tomcat available on my LAN. Easy I thought...

The basics of setting preparing the host Linux environment I found this post.
However, the Linpus kernel doesn't have
- TUN/TAP support built in the kernel... so I turned to this post.
- Bridge support... so it was time to build my own kernel, for which I turned to this post.

I then discovered that Linpus has a custom build of Grub, that doesn't show a menu on boot... which was something of a problem, as my kernel, built with 'CONFIG_BRIGE=y" did not work properly - the mouse and keyboard didn't seem to work.

I hope to replace the Linpus grub with a more standard variety... but this I'll save for another post. I want to make sure I have a safe procedure for restoring the original version first.

On a side issue, I tried using
- Damn Small Linux (DSL) for recovery - but it hung whilst booting.
- RIPLinux - at first this didn't seem to work either... until I found that by first running it's hardware detection tool, and then running grub, it worked nicely. Strange incompatibility with the Aspire One I suspect.

For my kernel second build, I tried with bridge as a module, CONFIG_BRIGE=y. This worked nicely.

I then hit this error - VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND which is easily resolved by modprobing, see this post.

Then, to my horror, I found that Linux bridging doesn't work on WIFI - see this post.

If anyone tries this procedure, and gets it to work, perhaps against a regular Ethernet port, I'd like to hear your experiences.

No comments: